Kit O Brien
Arbitration & Collaborative
Divorce and finances
Pre and postnuptial
Kit O’Brien joined GL Law in 2022 as an Associate Director specialising in divorce and financial issues, prior to the merger with Shakespeare Martineau in October 2022
Kit qualified as a solicitor in 1991 and has been based in Somerset since 1996. With over 30 years’ experience including time as managing partner at a South West firm, Kit brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the team.
In addition to working with clients going through divorce and separation Kit has extensive experience of working with unmarried couples. She can assist with cohabitation agreements at the outset of a relationship and with resolution of issues (including Trust of Land and Trustee proceedings) if a relationship breaks down.
She has extensive experience of complex cases involving farms, businesses, professionals, and pensions. An active member of the business community in Somerset, Kit will work with the Bristol team, and support clients across the South West.
An accredited member of the Law Society Family Law Panel, Kit is a trained collaborative lawyer. She believes in helping clients resolve their problems swiftly and cost effectively, utilising firm negotiation where needed to achieve a fair outcome.
Areas of work Kit specialises in:
– Acting for the wife of a property developer with significant income from a commercial property portfolio. Securing a capital settlement sufficient to enable her to have mortgage free accommodation and to cover school fees.
– Acting for the wife of a farmer with limited capital at the point of divorce but the potential for significant capital growth from land development. Achieving the postponement of her capital claims so that these can be reviewed in the future when the land development project comes to fruition.
– Acting for a partner in a veterinary practice, dealing with issues arising out of practice valuations, potential for future expansion and directors loan account.
– Acting for a client involved in Trust of Land and Trustee Act proceedings following the ending of a very short relationship, dealing with claims for estoppel.
– Acting for the wife of a wealthy company director, addressing issues arising out of a very short marriage.
– Acting for a farmer on divorce facing claims for sharing of assets notwithstanding minimal financial contributions and assessing relevance of family trusts.
In October 2022 GL Law merged with national law firm Shakespeare Martineau. You can find out more about the merger in the link below.
Passionate about helping clients navigate their journey through the family law system
Other People in Family
Partner & Head of Family Law
Please don't hesitate to reach out to Kit O Brien or a member of the Family team for a no-obligation quote.
We're here to help make the choice that is right for you! Complete our contact form and one of our client care team members will aim to contact you within 2 hours to discuss your requirements.
If you'd like to talk to us sooner, you can call us at the number below.
Call us: 0330 024 0333