Fertility & Surrogacy Lawyers
Becoming a parent is the most important thing to you, we treat it that way too
Fertility & Surrogacy Lawyers
Having a child is a wonderful thing but it can also be one of the hardest. Our fertility and surrogacy lawyers help you to understand your options and guide you through the legal complexities of fertility law, including the process of getting a parental order.
The momentous decision to start or grow a family is more intricate and emotional for intended parents who can’t do so naturally. Alternative fertility options and surrogacy can bring your wishes to life – but must be handled with care.
Considering your options can be extremely daunting, not least in terms of the changes that will be made to your life, but also the legalities surrounding your rights and responsibility as a new parent.
We’re one of only a handful of law firms with the skilled experience to support you in growing your family – through a variety of options – at each and every stage of yours and your family’s development.
Legal advice when having a child using a surrogate
- The laws on surrogacy are extremely complex and taking advice early will help you understand what the legal requirements are and how you can best prepare for using a surrogate.
- We support individuals, heterosexual and same-sex couples who are considering or have chosen to have a child using a surrogate. We assist with the process, documentation and the transfer of legal rights by virtue of parental orders.
- If you already have a child through surrogacy, checking that you have the necessary legal arrangements is crucial. We’re here for you should any difficulties arise such as a relationship break down with your surrogate or partner.
Getting a parental order
If you have a child using a surrogate, you or you and your partner will not be the child’s legal parents until you have acquired full parental rights through a parental order. An important document in surrogacy law, this will end the surrogate mother’s parentage and transfer all rights and responsibilities for your child to you or you and your partner.
We will talk you through the main steps involved, such as the court hearing and your supporting statements, and prepare the documentation that you will need.
Why choose Shakespeare Martineau?
- Our fertility and surrogacy lawyers have extensive experience in handling the intricacies of fertility law, particularly in relation to getting parental orders.
- We bring a personal approach to all of our work, providing sensitive and compassionate advice.
- Having helped many aspiring parents with fertility cases in the past, we are confident that our team will achieve the right results for you and your family.
Your journey through the legal process
Not everyone is aware of how the process of engaging fertility and surrogacy lawyers works, so we’ve provided an overview below to give you some peace of mind:
- Once you’ve submitted a contact form via the enquire now panel to the right of this page or by using the button below, you’ll be assigned to a member of our team.
- You’ll then receive a free 20-minute consultation within 24 hours via Zoom or telephone to discuss the issues you’re facing.
- Should you then decide that you wish to use our services, you’ll receive a breakdown of all our costs and a pack of on-boarding documents. We will work closely alongside you to ensure that whichever family issue you are facing we are here to support you and find you the right solution.
- After that, a further one-hour meeting at a fixed fee cost to get to know you and your family needs with no additional charges if the call goes over an hour.
Working to protect your growing family
Having a child through a surrogate is no small matter, to you or to us. We will work with you from start to finish or at difficult points along the way, to ensure your growing family is protected, with peace of mind.
Request a free call back
No matter where you are on your journey, submit your details below and we’ll arrange a free, no-obligation call back at a time to suit you.
Sonia Bachu is approachable and sensible but tough enough to fight the most difficult of casesClient, East Midlands
Shakespeare Martineau LLP’s ‘heavy-hitting’ practice is reputed for its preparation of nuptial agreements and its knowledge of financial disputes stemming from relationship breakdowns
Legal 500, 2020
Helen Bowns acted for me throughout my recent separation and divorce and I could not recommend her more highly. Helen listened carefully to my priorities and was able to help me navigate a difficult and stressful process with enduring calmness and a reassuringly sharp legal mind. I felt safe and supported throughout and confident that even though in our case the sequence of events was not necessarily typical, the process was smooth and calmSarah C, West Midlands
Caroline Elliott adopts a pragmatic approach and is keen to avoid costly litigation where possibleClient, East Midlands
The lawyers are experts in complex financial remedy claims and well used to dealing with high net worth casesLegal 500, 2020
Shakespeare Martineau LLP has a well-established presence in the family law arena. It demonstrates strong capabilities in complex financial disputes arising from divorces, and also advises on nuptial agreements and cohabitation agreementsLegal 500, 2021
Engaging the services of Nikki Aston and her team to help guide me through my divorce is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The service Nikki provided was always very professional. Nikki always had a smile, at a time when I didn't, and she provided me with a personal service throughout the process. Somehow Nikki made a stressful time far better than I could have imagined. Nikki helped me achieve the outcome I was hoping for!Client, East Midlands
Family guides | Helping you through
No matter what situation you and your family have found yourself in we are here to help and have put together a collection of guides and advice to support you
Meet our fertility & surrogacy experts
Our latest family news, blogs and webinars
Read or download our latest blogs, news and webinars. Designed to help navigate you through whatever life throws at you.
For the individual
The importance of a Lasting Power of Attorney
Corporate & Commercial
Your guide to recovery and resilience
For the individual
Five myths about marriage and divorce
For the individual
Legacy loop: spring edition 2021
Legal advice when having a child via a surrogate
Debra Burton, Legal Director
DIY Will Drafting and Digital Assets – what can go wrong?
Discussing the common problems encountered with badly drafted Wills including construction issues, the risk […]
Katherine Marshall, Partner | Matt Parr, Legal Director | David Browne, Partner
Exploring Surrogacy – the essential legal advice you need when having a child using a surrogate
In the first of our series of family webinars Katherine Marshall will be talking […]
Anne Tromans, Partner & Head of Wealth | Verity Kirby, Legal Director
Brexit: Relocating to / from the UK? – the impact on your UK tax position
This webinar explores: tax planning opportunities prior to relocation, the associated impact on wills, […]