Arbitration & Collaborative
Pre and postnuptial agreements
James Myatt is a director, head of the family department and personal legal services, based in the Bristol office. James has over 40 years of experience in family and private client law.
James specialises in complex and high value asset cases including those involving farms and pensions. He acts for business people, entrepreneurs, farming and landed clients, professionals, and their spouses or partners. James is also involved in pre- and post-nuptial agreements and in wealth planning.
James is a Resolution Accredited Specialist in family finance cases involving large/complex assets and cases involving pensions.
Known for his expert knowledge, sympathetic manner, tough negotiating and pragmatic approach, Chambers & Partners 2021 recognised his prowess as a trained collaborative family lawyer. Clients praise his “encyclopedic knowledge,” adding: “He fights the client’s corner.”
In the 2022 edition of the Legal 500 directory James is named as a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ and his team are ranked in Tier 3. “James Myatt’s knowledge of family law is so in-depth his clients have a knowledge of their position from date one, with the support of his team he is able to offer practical advice and solutions to their case.”
Examples of work James specialises in:
– Acting for a company director with properties in a number of international jurisdictions and very great wealth. Dealing with proceedings in different jurisdictions. Advising on settlement at an early stage which proved to be very close to the final terms.
– Acting for the wife of a farmer in a high value divorce. Working through challenges presented by the husband’s family to achieve a good outcome for the wife.
– Acting for a foreign national to avoid the cancellation of a foreign pre-nuptial agreement, enabling the client to preserve more of their wealth.
– Acting for the wife in a complex multi-pension case involving both defined benefit (final salary) pensions and defined contribution (personal) pensions. Ascertaining the “true” value of all the pensions. Securing an appropriate share for the wife taking into account the different benefits under the schemes
In October 2022 GL Law merged with national law firm Shakespeare Martineau. You can find out more about the merger in the link below.
James Myatt’s knowledge of family law is so in-depth his clients have a knowledge of their position from date one, with the support of his team he is able to offer practical advice and solutions to their case. – Legal 500, 2022
- Shakespeare Martineau completes GL Law merger
Other People in Family
Partner & Head of Family Law
Kit O Brien
Please don't hesitate to reach out to James Myatt or a member of the Family team for a no-obligation quote.
We're here to help make the choice that is right for you! Complete our contact form and one of our client care team members will aim to contact you within 2 hours to discuss your requirements.
If you'd like to talk to us sooner, you can call us at the number below.
Call us: 0330 024 0333