Personal Tax Planning Solicitors
We know that looking after the wealth you've accumulated during your life really matters and we want to help you and your family to make the most of it.
Our personal tax planning specialists always start by getting to know you – your aims and ambitions – to find out more about what you would like to achieve personally and for the people you care about.
We can support you in many different ways, from drafting your Will to advising you how to structure your finances in the most tax-efficient way. As part of our specialist service, we can help to minimise your inheritance tax and capital gains tax liabilities, advising you how and when to make lifetime gifts or set up a lifetime trust so others can benefit from your wealth.
Why choose Shakespeare Martineau?
- Our expert tax planning team believes the first step to providing an excellent service is to understand what you want to achieve with your wealth, then help you attain your goals in the most tax-efficient manner. If there are tax liabilities, we help to ensure they are paid in full and on time to avoid penalties and interest.
- In a self-assessment tax regime, the onus is on you as the UK taxpayer to ensure you declare your income and capital gains to HM Revenue & Customs and discharge the liability as required. We help you meet your obligations and will, when necessary, negotiate with HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf if a disagreement arises.
- Our experts can help you to avoid the common pitfalls and minimise inheritance tax liabilities that can arise as a consequence of lifetime gifting to individuals and transfers into trusts.
- Our team’s experience of advising individuals with highly-complex personal and financial affairs means we can help you to make the most of your wealth, whatever the circumstances.
We cover everything from advising you about lifetime gifting, the creation of lifetime trusts, and minimising your exposure to tax when disposing of valuable assets, such as property or shares.
Your personal tax partner for life
We aim to be your personal tax partner for life, helping you to structure your finances as efficiently as possible, whilst enabling you to fulfil a few of your dreams. Our promise is to get to know you first, so we can design a plan that is exactly right for you and your family.
Our tax planning process combines years of expertise with a highly personal approach. We pride ourselves on the relationships we build with our clients: it’s only by working closely with you that we can fully understand your financial affairs and help you to decide on the most appropriate solutions.
The way we help you
We pride ourselves on taking a proactive approach to tax planning because we know it makes sense and will deliver the most value for you and your family. We understand that there are things you may want to do with your money now too, and we can help you to achieve this in the most tax-efficient way possible.
Your journey through the legal process
Not everyone is aware of how the process of engaging personal tax planning solicitors works, so we’ve provided an overview below to give you some peace of mind:
- Once you’ve submitted a contact form via the enquire now panel to the right of this page, a member of our team will call you back to discuss your enquiry.
- You’ll then receive an initial consultation within 24 hours via Zoom or telephone to understand in more detail the issues you’re facing.
- Should you then decide that you wish to use our services, you’ll receive a breakdown of all our costs and a pack of on-boarding documents. We will work closely alongside you to ensure that whichever private client service you are interested in we are here to support you and find you the right solution.
Meet the team
Our latest family & private client news, blogs and webinars
Read or download our latest blogs, news and webinars. Designed to help navigate you through whatever life throws at you.
For the individual
Spring 2022 Consumer Finance Update
For the individual
Charity expert vows to ‘stand up for the sector’ after committee appointment
For the individual
What’s in a name? Your holiday could be riding on it
No-fault divorce becomes legislation on Wednesday 6 April 2022
Birmingham law firm’s family team bolstered with specialist partner appointment
, | Andrew Wilkinson, Partner
Farming, family and “fairness” – how to mitigate the risk of inheritance disputes
It is no coincidence that many of the most significant court inheritance disputes are […]
, | Helen Bowns, Partner
Agriculture: Protecting family wealth with a pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreement
Pre and post-nuptial agreements can be very valuable, especially to those who are concerned […]
Katherine Marshall, Partner | Matt Parr, Legal Director | Tom Ansell, Partner
Avoiding messy split ups – co-habitation agreements for couples planning or currently living together
As lockdown forced some couples to live together this last family webinars will see […]