Technical Company Secretarial Assistant
Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our Corporate and Commercial group undertakes various corporate, commercial, tax, banking and employment work at all levels. Our specialist teams combine unsurpassed expertise with a sound understanding of the corporate landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate and business law requirements.
Our experienced Corporate Finance team provide unrivalled expertise to funders and the businesses they fund. We provide “cradle to grave” services supporting clients from raising or investing money to realising ambitions to create successful businesses and returns for investors. The team’s expertise includes joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, disposals and restructurings, private equity and venture capital, corporate finance transactions, regulatory and compliance services, public and private fundraisings, tax, corporate governance and strategic support and company secretarial services. The team is the core practice of the firm’s Investment Funds sector with a particular specialism in tax related products for the retail market and investment structuring for institutional investors. We work closely with the banking and energy sectors providing a “world view” approach which really benefits our clients.
We are looking for a Technical Company Secretarial Assistant to join our Corporate Finance London team, part of the firm’s Corporate and Commercial group.
Your key duties will be:
- overseeing routine compliance for companies maintained in Blueprint OneWorld, and where applicable:
- providing supervision to administration and compliance assistant
- maintaining statutory registers using Blueprint Oneworld
- carrying out company formations using Blueprint Oneworld
- completing companies house filings
- supporting company secretaries in the team
- preparing board packs
- contributing to the Corporate & Governance article and other articles posted on our website
- providing routine administration (forwarding post, filing, booking meeting rooms)
- running company searches
- filing of minutes
- assisting partners with providing high quality legal services to clients on a broad range of company secretarial work
- maintaining good working relationships with clients
- maintaining good file management including electronic and paper storage
- responding to client queries, taking telephone calls, handling queries and enquiries where appropriate
- keeping abreast of all professional developments in own area of work and undertaking such training as required
- ensuring confidentiality and security of all documentation / information belonging to the firm and clients
- undertaking projects and any other tasks as directed by the line manager
- ensuring personal time recording and billing targets are achieved
- ensuring that all chargeable work on client matters is properly entered and charging units accurately recorded
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 12 months’ previous experience in a similar role, dealing with public and private limited companies
- previous experience in a professional services environment, would be preferable, but not essential
- demonstratable experience and knowledge of using Blueprint OneWorld
- experience in AGM procedures for public limited companies
- a good practical knowledge of Companies Act 2006 and Corporate Governance
- proven experience attending board and committee meetings and drafting of minutes
- sound verbal and written communication skills, which are essential
Key competencies you will need:
- excellent time management and organisational skills
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- the ability to prioritise work effectively and work under pressure
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to go the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.