SQL Developer / Database Administrator
Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
To provide truly outstanding client service we work as one team. Our Business Operations Group is made up of business professionals who work with our legal professionals to provide market leading expertise to our clients. The Groups include; Finance, Operations, HR, Marketing, IT, Risk and the Executive Leadership team.
Our IT team is responsible for providing clients and staff with high quality relevant technology, customised systems and superior service and support to ensure our business needs are always met.
Based mainly in the Birmingham office but also with a presence in Nottingham the team is around 30 strong and includes talented architects, project managers, developers, engineers, analysts and service desk support people.
This is an ever changing and exciting area to work in as we constantly look for new and innovative ways to provide the most effective solutions to the business.
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our Birmingham-based IT team as an IT SQL Developer and Database Administrator.
Working in the IT Infrastructure Operations and Development teams, you will play an active role in supporting the existing SQL infrastructure including server, data management and application SQL expertise and support, as well as project work to improve and enhance key systems and processes.
You will be responsible for managing and mentoring an apprentice DBA role.
Your key duties will include:
- providing ownership, administration and management of the full SQL stack, including:
- database management
- performance tuning
- SQL Backup management planning
- managing the gate for SQL access
- managing SQL release processes
- advising the firm on database strategies
- operating and advising in the Development and Project departments undertaking:
- developing and supporting the Application SQL layer on an ongoing basis
- promoting best practice
- analysing and problem solving data-related issues
- supporting major firm wide initiatives and projects
- keeping operational documentation up to date
- researching, recommending, planning and implementing new processes and systems into wider teams
Essential skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- a solid background in troubleshooting and problem solving complex data issues across a broad range of applications and systems
- strong experience in Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016
- demonstrable experience of SQL development and enhancing internal knowledge
- demonstrable experience of managing a full SQL database stack
- solid data analytical skills
Preferable skills and experience you will have:
- previous experience working within a legal environment or professional services
- working with Document Management Solutions, such as iManage
- working with legacy database structures
- experience of Rubrik application
- previous experience of working in an agile environment
Key competencies you will have:
- SQL SSIS
- SQL SSRS
- analysing SQL execution plans and performance tuning
- experience in Extract Transform Load (ETL)
- monitoring and management of SQL databases
- excellent personal organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks
- strong communication skills
- confidence working without routine supervision
- drive and enthusiasm to be part of a bigger team working together to achieve team goals
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.