Solicitor – Commercial Litigation
Let us introduce ourselves…
Our office in Milton Keynes is on a growth trajectory. Now is a truly exciting time to join the office at the beginning of this journey and help shape the future. We aim to be a top tier office across multiple disciplines with regional and national recognition across several sectors.
We have a diverse mix of lawyers who are specialists. Our non-hierarchical approach within both the office and on transactions means our lawyers are client facing, empowered and given the opportunity to flourish within multi-disciplinary and supportive teams.
Our Recoveries, Restructuring and Insolvency team is a nationally recognised and works with some of the most successful insolvency firms in the UK. Our specialist team combines expertise with a sound understanding of the commercial realities of insolvency work to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ requirements.
How we work:
We are committed to driving positive change in our communities, minimising our impact on the environment (we currently have B-Corp status pending) and ensuring an inclusive, diverse and supportive culture for our people. We want you to be part of this culture.
We embrace agile working and offer a blended approach to where and how we work. We want you to own your diary as we believe in empowering our people to work flexibly, to better manage their work-life balance and work during the hours that work for them and their customers.
We can offer you:
- A great mix of work with the freedom to choose when and where you work
- A culture of trust and empowerment with responsibility and autonomy over your work and the freedom to manage when and how you do it
- The support and encouragement of a great team behind you and friendly partners who all want to help you thrive
- Involvement in business development
- Development by working in cross functional projects
- A competitive package with great benefits
We are looking for a NQ – 4 year PQE Solicitor to join our Recoveries, Restructuring and Insolvency team based in Milton Keynes.
You will work within your team to provide a quality service to clients in insolvency and dispute resolution matters for mainly insolvency practitioners, corporate clients, including public and private companies, as well as partnerships and individuals.
Your key duties will be:
- providing assistance to a team of experienced lawyers on a broad range of insolvency and dispute resolution work
- liaising with clients and colleagues in a professional manner
- managing your own caseloads under supervision
- attending and running client meetings
- handling queries and enquiries efficiently
- maintaining good file management
- working to strict deadlines
- actively supporting business development initiatives
Skills and experience you will have:
- previous experience of dispute resolution work
- an interest in insolvency law
- a good grounding and interest in litigation and its processes
- strong academic background
- strong IT skills
Key competencies you will need:
- to enjoy the academic challenge of insolvency law and resolving technical disputes
- to have an eye for detail
- the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- a high degree of initiative and the ability to cope in a demanding environment
- excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- the ability to work in a busy team
- excellent communication skills
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to go the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Find out more about us:
Ampa was launched in 2021 having outlined a strategy to attract mergers, acquisitions and talent to our ‘house of brands’ representing the best in legal and professional services; while at the same time rocket-fuelling growth across our current business, including launching new brands and propositions.
Shakespeare Martineau, Lime Solicitors, Marrons Planning and Corclaim, which are all part of Ampa, have been ranked one of the top 10 law firms to work for by Best Companies, as well as 58 in the top 100 Midlands companies and top 50 in the large London companies. Sussex law firm, Mayo Wynne Baxter (MWB), joined the group from May, becoming the group’s regional legal anchor brand for the South-East, except for its personal injury and clinical negligence teams, which will join Ampa’s existing Lime Solicitors.
In addition to MWB, we have recently welcomed two other brands into the group: Cyber Security Company CSS Assure and Coadax, a strategic advisory consultancy.
We’re well on the way to achieving our goal to double in size by 2023 and become a UK top 30 group by 2025.
It’s the people at Shakespeare Martineau that make us so special. By understanding what our people want, giving them the support they need, recognising everyone’s contribution and realising the unique power of teams, together we win. As a firm we are focused on proactively building and developing diverse teams, bringing different backgrounds, personalities and perspectives together. We play to our strengths, pushing ourselves to be consistently better than yesterday and deliver amazing solutions for our clients. We empower our teams with a high degree of individual responsibility; we self-manage and encourage everyone to be responsible for their own learning, knowing it makes us even better at what we do!
We believe in trusting our people to make the right decisions for themselves, from when and where you work, to how you dress; we focus on outputs.
Check out our amazing benefits here.
Please be aware, for some vacancies, where we receive high numbers of applications we may need to bring the close date forward.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.