Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 55 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our Corporate and Commercial group undertakes various corporate, commercial, tax, banking and employment work at all levels. Our specialist teams combine unsurpassed expertise with a sound understanding of the corporate landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate and business law requirements.
Our Corporate team act for financial institutions, SME's, owner managed businesses and PLC's on all aspects of corporate transactions. The team has specific experience and expertise in the energy, education, retail, logistics, healthcare and banking sectors. We also advise clients on matters relating to employee ownership. In the last 12 months we have completed more than 200 substantial deals with a large number having an enterprise value ranging from £20 to £50 million. In addition we deal with shareholder agreements, joint venture agreements, company formation arrangements and other aspects of corporate life.
We are looking for a Solicitor to join our Nottingham-based Corporate team, part of our firm’s Corporate Commercial group.
You will provide a high quality service to clients on the full range of corporate matters and support to a busy partner dealing with transactional and non-transactional matters.
Your key duties will include:
- working alongside senior lawyers to provide assistance on all aspects of corporate and also some commercial work
- assisting with company secretarial services, including preparation of board minutes, Companies House forms and other ancillary documents
- assisting on large complex deals with appropriate supervision, and also building up your own caseload of straightforward matters
- handling enquiries efficiently
- liaising with clients in a professional manner
- working to strict deadlines
Skills and experience you will have:
- up to 8 years’ previous experience gained dealing in Corporate matters within a law firm (for Newly Qualified candidates, significant relevant experience gained during your training contract is essential)
- strong IT skills
- the ability to manage files effectively
Key competencies you will need:
- a desire to specialise in this area of law
- a desire to enhance client relationships through day-to-day activity
- excellent communication skills
- a high degree of initiative and the ability to cope in a demanding environment
- excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- the ability to work in a busy team
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to go the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.