Let us introduce ourselves…
It’s the people at Shakespeare Martineau that make us so special. By understanding what our people want, giving them the support they need, recognising everyone’s contribution and realising the unique power of teams, together we win. As a firm we are focused on proactively building and developing diverse teams, bringing different backgrounds, personalities and perspectives together. We play to our strengths, pushing ourselves to be consistently better than yesterday and deliver amazing solutions for our clients. We empower our teams with a high degree of individual responsibility; we self-manage and encourage everyone to be responsible for their own learning, knowing it makes us even better at what we do!
We believe in trusting our people to make the right decisions for themselves, from when and where you work, to how you dress; we focus on outputs.
Check out our amazing benefits here
Meet the team
Our Corporate and Commercial group undertakes various corporate, commercial, tax, banking and employment work at all levels. Our specialist teams combine unsurpassed expertise with a sound understanding of the corporate landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate and business law requirements.
Our Commercial & IP team advises at all levels of the chain of procurement and supply in both the public and private sectors. With the benefit of significant in-house experience, the team has a thorough understanding of the issues facing businesses and their requirements for legal services. We have a track record of success in acting for clients across a diverse range of goods and services and also have wide experience in the protection, enforcement and exploitation of IP rights in relation to advertising, confidential Information, copyright and database rights, data protection, designs, patents and trademarks, brands and reputation.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our vibrant team in Leicester. You will be working on a wide range of work including both contentious and non-contentious commercial law.
This involves advising on a wide range of commercial agreements from processing goods and service to the licensing of technology, advising on data and privacy and sponsorship arrangements for sporting bodies. The successful candidate will want to extend and deploy their skills across a range of overlapping legal disciplines including contract law, IP and IT law competition law and data and privacy law.
Your key duties will be:
- working alongside senior lawyers to provide assistance on a range of Commercial & IP work, with an emphasis on IP technology
- assisting on large complex deals with appropriate supervision, and also building up your own caseload of straightforward matters
- handling enquiries efficiently
- liaising with clients in a professional manner
- working to strict deadlines
Skills and experience you will have:
- gained previous experience in Commercial & IP law during your training contract is essential
- strong IT skills
- the ability to manage files effectively
Key competencies you will need:
- a desire to specialise in this area of law
- a desire to enhance client relationships through day-to-day activity
- excellent communication skills
- a high degree of initiative and the ability to cope in a demanding environment
- excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- the ability to work in a busy team
About you – you will be:
- willing to go the extra mile for internal and external clients
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- most importantly, to have a passion to deliver a truly excellent service every time
How we work
We embrace agile working and offer a blended approach to where and how we work.
We appreciate that people have different needs and preferences and we’re keen to be flexible, after all, we value what you do, not where you do it.
We have hubs in Birmingham, Leicester, London, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Solihull, Stratford-upon-Avon and Sheffield. This role will be a blend of home based working with travel as required into our Leicester hub.
Please be aware, for some vacancies, where we receive high numbers of applications we may need to bring the close date forward.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.