Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
The Restructuring, Recoveries & Insolvency (RRI) team has a long-standing experience of working with an enviable selection of banks, asset based lenders and insolvency practitioners. We regularly instructed by the “big 4” accountants as well as the mid-tier and smaller players. Our specialist national team combine all round expertise with a sound understanding of the commercial landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate requirements. The team is recognised in both Chambers and Legal 500.
We provide advice on all aspects of transactional/advisory insolvency work to insolvency practitioners and lenders together with a wide-ranging contentious offering. We are also developing a fast-growing reputation for corporate-side advice in turnaround situations and distressed investment scenarios. We exploit our sector expertise within the firm including, in particular, banking and financial services, education and energy to ensure that real value is added to assignments undertaken by the team.
We are looking for a Newly Qualified ‘NQ’-3yr PQE Solicitor to join our Birmingham-based Restructuring & Insolvency team, part of the firm’s litigation & Dispute Resolution group.
You will be working directly for the Restructuring & Insolvency team leader and will be involved in all areas of insolvency matters. This comprises both corporate and personal, and both contentious and non-contentious. The role will also involve a high degree of client contact.
Your key duties will include:
- working alongside senior lawyers to provide assistance on a broad range of recovery matters and insolvency
- acting for lenders and insolvency practitioners to provide fast, pragmatic and commercial advice
- working closely with businesses, directors and individuals facing financial difficulties
- running cases efficiently and cost-effectively within strict service level agreements, as required by the client
- working with marketing strategies to attract new clients and developing relationships with current clients
- handling queries and enquiries efficiently
Skills and experience you will have:
- up to 3 years’ previous experience dealing with contentious and non-contentious insolvency matters
- drafting skills such as SPA’s, court applications, detailed letters of advice to clients, statements and briefs to counsel
- strong IT skills
- confidence in finding practical and innovative solutions to a range of problems
- previous non-contentious experience must include:
- advising on restructuring solutions
- advising on sale of businesses out of distressed situations
- providing general advice to lenders and insolvency practitioners in the full range of insolvency situations
- previous contentious experience must include:
- advising on antecedent transactions and directors conduct would be particularly useful
- a high degree of legal analytical skills
- strong advocacy skills
- a proven track record of business development
For Newly Qualified candidates, relevant experience gained in either Insolvency or Corporate and Commercial Property matters during your training contract is essential.
Key competencies you will need:
- a commercial approach to property as a security asset
- to be personable and have experience of dealing with a broad range of clients
- to be willing to attend marketing/networking events and contribute to marketing publications to develop the profile of the team
- a high degree of initiative and the ability to cope in a demanding environment
- excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- the ability to work in a busy team
- excellent communication skills
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.