Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our Litigation & Dispute Resolution group has a long-standing experience of working with some of the most successful and influential businesses in the UK and also internationally. Our specialist teams combine expertise with a sound understanding of the commercial landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate requirements.
Our Dispute Resolution London team deals with all types of commercial disputes, in particular complex and high value commercial and financial services/banking disputes, as well as corporate disputes, professional negligence claims and property disputes. We pride ourselves on our technical expertise, a can do attitude, a will to win and resources to deliver the best possible solutions for our clients, ranging from Sovereign States, state-owned entities, financial institutions, real estate investment funds, multi-million pound turnover companies, and ultra-high worth individuals.
The London team is experienced in running national and very complex multi-jurisdictional international disputes, as well as providing strategic advice on the best forum in which to seek to resolve a dispute. The practice covers litigation, arbitration and ADR.
We are looking for a 1-3yr PQE Solicitor to join our Dispute Resolution London team, part of the firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution group.
This role will involve working on high profile, intellectually challenging and complex litigation matters, a high degree of client contact, as well as an active participation in the Dispute Resolution team’s profile and business development activities.
Your key duties will include:
- liaising with clients and colleagues in a professional manner
- providing assistance to a team of experienced lawyers on a broad range of dispute resolution work
- building up caseloads of straight forward cases
- handling queries and enquiries efficiently
- maintaining good file management
- ensuring that all client work is progressed in a timely fashion and that the client is kept regularly informed on progress and costs
- being active in promoting the services of the team, the Group and the Firm; taking a keen interest in undertaking business development activities both internally and externally
Skills and experience you will have:
- between 1-3 years’ previous experience gained in litigation and dispute resolution experience in a City/West End firm that handles high-value commercial litigation caseloads
- a good grounding and interest in litigation and its processes and evidential experience of disputes work
- a strong academic background
- strong IT skills
- excellent written and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
Key competencies you will need:
- to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner at all times
- to be adaptable with excellent organisational and prioritising skills to meet the demands of challenging and commercial internal and external clients
- the ability to ensure good working relationships with colleagues, clients and external organisations
- the aspiration to take responsibility for and attend to self-development
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- excellent attention to detail and organisational skills
- the ability to effectively manage own workload
- to be pro-active and take initiative, with a ‘can do’ attitude
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.