Professional Support Lawyer (Corporate)
Are you an experienced Professional Support Lawyer, used to operating at a senior level, or an experienced Solicitor looking for a new career move? Do you have a passion for adding real value through the generation and transfer of knowledge? As we thrive to become one of the most admired top 30 law firm by 2025 we have an exciting opportunity for a Corporate Professional Support Lawyer.
This new position has come about due to our firm’s growth. The role will sit within our newly formed Knowledge Management team where you will work closely with stakeholders across the Corporate team to establish an effective knowledge-sharing culture.
Your key duties will be:
- working closely with lawyer teams to develop, draft and maintain standard forms, precedents and practice notes
- undertaking complex legal research to provide support on client matters and business development activities and track enquiries to identify knowhow and training needs
- working proactively with lawyer teams and Business Development (BD) to raise the profile of the Corporate team and cement client relationships by identifying opportunities, drafting briefing notes, legal insights and thought leadership content for external and internal consumption
- assisting BD in the preparation of pitches and tenders by researching and writing content to enable the team to exploit business opportunities
- working with the Learning and Development team to manage the team's knowledge training programme, drafting and delivering content for client and lawyer training sessions and events
- helping to review and develop business processes to improve efficiencies within the Corporate team and their ability to service clients efficiently and in a cost-effective manner
- working with the central Knowledge team to proactively capture and disseminate know how to demonstrate best practice and supporting other business units as necessary
- maintaining a working knowledge of appropriate legal-tech tools and their potential application and leading on their implementation where relevant
Skills and experience you will have:
- previous experience in a Professional Support Lawyer role operating at a senior level or a fee earner, with a minimum of 8 years’ experience as a lawyer in a Corporate department
- broad experience of corporate and company law with in-depth knowledge of the Companies Act 2006 and corporate transactions
- the ability to digest, analyse and succinctly communicate complex issues with clarity to both internal and external clients
- commercial awareness and enthusiasm about business development
- first class drafting and communication skills
- experience developing and delivering client and / or in-house training
- competency with online legal resources, Microsoft Word and other relevant software products (e.g. Microsoft PowerPoint & Excel, document management systems and databases).
Key competencies you will need:
- a strong interest in the law and the use of technology to aid effective knowledge sharing
- the ability to respond promptly to requests for work including research, expertise, training materials and other information
- to be highly organised, with sound judgment and attention to detail
- to be self-initiating and take a pro-active approach towards projects; seek direction and advice as needed but also prepared to take ownership and progress tasks independently
- the ability to communicate effectively and clearly in a multi-cultural environment
- credibility, and the ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders
- confidence to work within virtual team setting
- a strong understanding and ability to promote connections between other business units
Shakespeare Martineau empower our teams with a high degree of individual responsibility; we self-manage and encourage everyone to be responsible for their own learning, knowing it makes us even better at what we do!
We believe in trusting our people to make the right decisions for themselves, from when and where you work, to how you dress; we focus on outputs.
Want to find more about our amazing benefits?
Meet the team
The Corporate team act for financial institutions, SME's, owner managed businesses and PLC's on all aspects of corporate transactions. The team has specific experience and expertise in the energy, education, retail, logistics, healthcare and banking sectors. We also advise clients on matters relating to employee ownership.
Knowledge Management is one of the main pillars of our Managed Legal Services offering. The flow of knowledge, into, within, and out of the firm, and the embedding of critical knowledge into the firm, is a process that is essential to the growth and development of Shakespeare Martineau.
How we work
We embrace agile working and offer a blended approach to where and how we work.
We appreciate that people have different needs and preferences and we’re keen to be flexible, after all, we value what you do, not where you do it.
We have hubs in Birmingham, Leicester, Lincoln, London, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Solihull, Stratford-upon-Avon and Sheffield. This role will have a blend of home, and office working within any of our office hubs. Occasional travel to our other office hubs may be required.
Please be aware, for some vacancies, where we receive high numbers of applications we may need to bring the close date forward.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.