Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our multi-disciplinary Real Estate group is highly regarded by our clients and within the sector. It comprises not only lawyers but also town and country planners. We’ve brought experts into our services in planning, development, investment, landlord and tenant matters, social housing, construction and litigation with a particular emphasis on energy, housing, education, finance and investment funds.
Our Residential Property team comprises some of the industry’s most experienced lawyers. We provide effective and efficient advice on residential and commercial transactions and have extensive experience in rural estates. With business-wide expertise in energy, planning and employment, we are on hand for every aspect of our client’s property requirements. We advise clients on the sale and purchase of residential properties with particular emphasis on residential freehold and leasehold sales and purchases including new builds. Our team covers the full range of conveyancing service including stamp duty land tax, the Land Registry, NHBC cover for new build properties, Transfers of Equity, remortgages, shared equity, Help to Buy and sales and purchases.
We are looking for a Paralegal to join our Residential team based in our Milton Keynes office, part of the firm’s Real Estate group.
The role is to focus on private residential conveyancing sale, purchase work, and provide paralegal support to the members of the Residential team.
You key duties will be:
- providing paralegal and administrative support to the team
- dealing with sales and purchases both freehold and leasehold, and mortgages
- opening and closing of files and conducting conflict searches
- dealing with general correspondence
- handling telephone calls, and handling queries and enquiries where appropriate
- producing forms and documentation
- completing dictations
- drafting documents
- completing registrations at Land Registry
- completing and filing SDLT returns
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 12 months’ experience in a paralegal role gained from within a Residential team
- experience of dealing with private sale and purchase work is preferable
- experience of using a case management system
- strong IT skills and fast, accurate typing ability
Key competencies you will need:
- good attention to detail and accuracy
- the ability to work under tight deadlines and high volumes at a fast pace
- the ability to prioritise workload
- drive, enthusiasm, commitment and a team player approach
- the ability to deal with client meetings and key clients
- the ability to keep clients routinely updated
Ideally candidates will have a legal qualification and be interested to pursue a career in the law.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.