Litigation Legal Assistant
Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our Volume & Consumer Business has a long-standing experience of working with some of the most successful and influential businesses in the UK and also internationally. Our specialist teams combine expertise with a sound understanding of the commercial landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate requirements.
Our Debt Collection team offers significant debt recovery expertise and act for several large national companies. We have loyal clients who we have served well for 25 years or more and our client base continues to grow at a steady pace, with many new referrals coming from our existing clients. We operate a fast, efficient and cost-effective bulk debt recovery service using both the County Court Bulk Centre (Money Claims Online) and the County Court Money Claims Centre (manual claims) - speeding up the debt collection process for our clients. We are all specialists in debt recovery and have experience of working in the credit sector as well as the legal world.
We are looking for a Litigation Legal Assistant to join our Stratford-based debt collection team. The role is to provide paralegal support to more senior fee earners in the team, specialising in debt collection work.
We are committed to providing a service to our clients between the hours of 9.00am to 8.00pm on Monday to Thursday, 9.00am to 5.00pm on a Friday and 9.00am to 1.00pm on a Saturday. Therefore, the role will involve working to shift patterns to accommodate these hours, which will involve working one 11.30am – 8.00pm shift per week and no more than 2 Saturdays per month.
The shift patterns, which will be worked on a rota basis, will be:
9:00am – 5:30pm with an hour for lunch on Monday – Thursday
9.00am – 5.00pm with an hour for lunch on Friday
11:30am – 8:00pm with an hour for lunch on one day per week Monday – Thursday
9:00am – 1:00pm on Saturday – no more than 2 per month
Your key duties will be:
- working as part of a team to progress debt collection matters
- having responsibility for the day to day management of your own case load
- processing claims from initial instruction through to, and including, all methods of enforcement
- issuing and preparing claims and statutory demands
- liaising with enforcement officers
- liaising with and meeting clients
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 6 months’ experience in a similar role, ideally gained in the area of debt collection
- a sound knowledge of the litigation process
- previous experience in using a case management system
Key competencies you will need:
- the ability to work well in a team and develop good working relationships with colleagues and others
- good communication skills with the confidence to liaise openly and clearly with colleagues and clients
- the ability to produce a high standard of work, sometimes under pressure, whilst maintaining accuracy and good attention to detail
- to be able to demonstrate flexibility, initiative and confidence in your own ability
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.