Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 55 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our multi-disciplinary Real Estate group is highly regarded by our clients and within the sector. It comprises not only lawyers but also town and country planners. We’ve brought experts into our services in planning, development, investment, landlord and tenant matters, social housing, construction and litigation with a particular emphasis on energy, housing, education, finance and investment funds.
Our Commercial Property team are one of the fastest growing real estate practices, having more than doubled income and significantly strengthened the team over the last two and half years. With the support of Planning and Construction, we have one of the best integrated teams. We act for local and national developers, pension funds and venture capitalists as well as foreign investors on projects throughout the UK. Our experienced team has assisted in the development and sale of over 4m sq ft of town centre and out of town retail and leisure development as well as industrial and distribution hubs, offices and mixed use schemes.
We boast one of the largest planning teams in the country and have been identified as leaders in this field by both Chambers and Legal 500 for the last 18 years. Our highly-experienced Planning team provide practical solutions to meet clients’ needs. Covering all areas of planning law, acting for commercial and residential developers, landowners and local authorities on both contentious and non-contentious matters, our team has the experience to meet diverse planning law requirements. Our experience includes dealing with planning appeals and inquiries, judicial reviews and statutory challenges, highways issues, section 106 agreements, section 278 agreements, advising on Community Infrastructure Levy and advising parties on the promotion and objection to Compulsory Purchase Orders and Development Consent Orders and related process.
Are you a strong team player with the ability to work under pressure when needed? Are you highly organised and able to prioritise well when faced with conflicting demands? Are you looking for a new challenge within a dynamic and expanding law firm? If the above sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
We have an exciting new vacancy for a Legal Secretary to join our Commercial Property and Planning team within our Nottingham office, part of our firm’s Real Estate group.
Working as a shared resource this role offers good variety and exposure to a wide range of tasks where you will play a key part in assisting both legal teams deliver great service to our clients.
Your key duties will be:
- assisting with the processing of land registry forms and other legal documentation
- attending to clients in person and on the phone taking messages and assisting where appropriate
- using a case management system to process and progress files
- managing file opening, closure and archiving
- providing timely and effective support to requests for assistance from members of the team
- producing accurate correspondence and documentation including through the use of digital dictation
- producing bills and other financial administration
- managing diaries for the team, planning and organising meetings and making travel arrangements
- organising and maintaining departmental filing systems and document storage
- photocopying, scanning, faxing, printing, filing and other general administrative tasks
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 6 months’ commercial property experience, ideally gained from within a legal secretarial role
- a solid understanding of knowledge of SDLT applications, using HMRC portal and Company Housing Registrations
- non-legal property experience and residential property experience will also be considered
- fast and accurate audio-typing skills
- a minimum grade C pass at GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics
- confidence with IT systems to include Microsoft Word, Excel
Key competencies you will need:
- the ability to work flexibly across both teams and develop good working relationships with colleagues and others
- the ability to prioritise well and be able to cope with changing demands
- to be able to produce a high standard of work, often to tight deadlines, whilst maintaining accuracy and good attention to detail
- confident interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise openly and clearly with colleagues and clients
- to be able to demonstrate professionalism, flexibility, initiative and self confidence
About you- you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to go the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.