Let us introduce ourselves…
It’s the people at Shakespeare Martineau that make us so special. By understanding what our people want, giving them the support they need, recognising everyone’s contribution and realising the unique power of teams, together we win. As a firm we are focused on proactively building and developing diverse teams, bringing different backgrounds, personalities and perspectives together. We play to our strengths, pushing ourselves to be consistently better than yesterday and deliver amazing solutions for our clients. We empower our teams with a high degree of individual responsibility; we self-manage and encourage everyone to be responsible for their own learning, knowing it makes us even better at what we do!
We believe in trusting our people to make the right decisions for themselves, from when and where you work, to how you dress; we focus on outputs.
Want to find more about our amazing benefits?
Do you have experience working in a legal finance role? Would you like to develop a specialism in legal cashiering work? If this sounds like you then we want to hear from you!
We are looking for someone to join our friendly, busy finance team on a permanent basis in Birmingham. There is always plenty to do and lots of variety. If you have the interest, the core skills and background already then we will show you the rest.
Your key duties will include:
- processing electronic payments
- allocating funds received to client’s ledgers
- processing transfers between client and office accounts
- issuing cheques
- liaising with fee earners and resolving accounting queries raised by clients and staff
- performing bank reconciliations
- sorting incoming cheques and preparing daily banking
- recording all other accounts transactions including checking requests
- monitoring client money balances, transactions and controls, ensuring at all times full compliance with SRA Accounts Rules requirements, COFA responsibilities and internal policies
- raising issues and possible breaches with matter fee earners and partners, advising on the corrective actions required
- maintaining SRA Register of Breaches and Potential Breaches
- ensuring the COFA is informed of any risks arising as a result of breaches to SRA Accounts Rules
- identifying and delivering continuous improvements with processes surrounding client money management
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 12 months’ previous experience working in a legal environment in a legal cashiering or compliance role
- excellent attention to detail and high degree of accuracy is imperative
- strong commercial focus and good business acumen
- demonstrable ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure of deadlines, including experience in prioritising competing workloads and managing internal parties’ expectations
- to be analytical and highly organised
Our Finance team is made up of over 40 people who work from a variety of our office locations. The work is split into four core areas; Financial Accounting, Financial Operations, Business Partnering and Partner Services.
The team work closely with our other business operations teams to provide a first class service. They are responsible for the sound financial management of the firm, including cash flow, budgeting, internal and external reporting and audit. They have responsibilities for the safe-keeping and operating of our clients’ funds held on account and also deal with payroll, credit control ‘Work In Progress’, partner finances and tax returns. The team also provide bespoke finance business partnering support to all other areas of the business.
How we work
We embrace agile working and offer a blended approach to where and how we work.
We appreciate that people have different needs and preferences and we’re keen to be flexible, after all, we value what you do, not where you do it.
We have hubs in Birmingham, Leicester, London, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Solihull, Stratford-upon-Avon and Sheffield. This role will be a hybrid of home working and from our Birmingham hub.
Please be aware, for some vacancies, where we receive high numbers of applications we may need to bring the close date forward.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.