Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
To provide truly outstanding client service we work as one team. Our Business Operations Group is made up of business professionals who work with our legal professionals to provide market leading expertise to our clients. The Groups include; Finance, Operations, HR, Clients & Markets, IT, Risk and the Executive Leadership team.
Our Finance team is made up of over 40 people who work from a variety of our office locations. The work is split into four core areas; Financial Accounting, Financial Operations, Business Partnering and Partner Services.
The team work closely with our other business operations teams to provide a first class service. They are responsible for the sound financial management of the firm, including cash flow, budgeting, internal and external reporting and audit. They have responsibilities for the safe-keeping and operating of our clients’ funds held on account and also deal with payroll, credit control ‘Work In Progress’, partner finances and tax returns. The team also provide bespoke finance business partnering support to all other areas of the business.
We are looking for a Legal Cashier to join our Birmingham-based Finance team.
You will work as part of a small team who are very busy, hardworking, and supportive. This opportunity will be offered on a fixed term contract of 12 months.
Your key duties will be:
- arranging bank reconciliations
- allocating funds received to client’s ledgers
- processing electronic payments
- processing transfers between client and office accounts
- sorting incoming cheques and preparing daily banking
- issuing cheques
- checking and posting bills, credit notes and write offs
- recording all other accounts transactions including checking requests
- liaising with fee earners and resolving accounting queries raised by clients and staff
- providing ad hoc assistance and support, as required by the Finance team
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 12 months’ previous legal cashiering experience, ideally gained from working within a legal or professional services background
- a GCSE grade C or above in Maths (or equivalent)
- accurate keyboard skills and strong attention to detail
Key competencies you will need:
- to be able to cope with a high volume workload and work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- to enjoy working with figures
- to be highly enthusiastic, willing to go the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- to be respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- to be keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.