First Line IT Support
Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 50 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
To provide truly outstanding client service we work as one team. Our Business Operations Group is made up of business professionals who work with our legal professionals to provide market leading expertise to our clients. The Groups include; Finance, Operations, HR, Marketing, IT, Risk and the Executive Leadership team.
Our IT team is responsible for providing clients and staff with high quality relevant technology, customised systems and superior service and support to ensure our business needs are always met.
Based mainly in the Birmingham office but also with a presence in Nottingham the team is around 30 strong and includes talented architects, project managers, developers, engineers, analysts and service desk support people.
This is an ever changing and exciting area to work in as we constantly look for new and innovative ways to provide the most effective solutions to the business.
We are looking for a First Line IT Support Engineer to join our IT team, part of the firm’s Birmingham-based Business Operations group.
The working hours will be 37 hours per week, working between the hours of 7.00 am and 7.00 pm Monday to Friday on a rotational basis; flexibility to work additional hours on evenings and weekends may be required.
Occasional travel to our other offices may be required as and when requested.
Your key duties will be:
- providing desktop hardware and software support in response to incidents allocated from the service desk and maintain regular communication with the user
- updating service desk systems in accordance with internal procedures
- providing support to technical teams for problem resolution
- undertaking PC and laptop building, i.e. install and configure all correct software to Shakespeare Martineau’s standards
- escalating those incidents where normal procedures have not resolved the problem to infrastructure analyst or third party suppliers in accordance with the internal procedures to agreed service levels
- providing physical asset management in adherence to internal procedures
- using the PO system to generate, track, receive and record delivery of orders
- maintaining and managing pool equipment
- delivering support for home workers and client site visits where approved by senior IT management
- resolving IT support incidents and service requests within agreed SLA timeframes
- changing printer toners
- setting up meeting rooms for client presentations
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 6 months’ experience working in an IT service desk environment
- 5 GCSEs A - C including Maths and English (or equivalent)
- experience in the use of Microsoft Office 2016
- basic Active Directory and the ability to create users and reset passwords
- basic knowledge of printer and network troubleshooting
- knowledge of supporting Windows 10
Experience of the following IT systems would be desirable but are not essential:
- Legal Systems (Axxia Desktop, Proclaim)
- Mitel Telephone System
- Spiceworks call logging software
- all other systems are in-house so training will be given
Key competencies you will need:
- excellent communication skills
- a polite and patient telephone manner
- excellent personal organisation and the ability to prioritise and carry out multiple tasks
- an enthusiasm to develop a career in the field of IT and ability to demonstrate a clear interest in this area
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to go the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
It will be advantageous if candidates hold a full driving licence.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.