Shakespeare Martineau is a Top 55 law firm that combines creativity, commerciality and clarity. We work with blue-chip companies, leading organisations, high street brands and individuals across the country.
As enterprising and original thinkers, we’re driven to create exceptional experiences for our clients and our people. We handle personal and business-critical issues and game-changing deals across many dynamic sectors. It’s stimulating and rewarding.
We’re hardworking and deeply ambitious about creating opportunities for our employees; to move forward and achieve our ambition together. We provide an environment in which you’re supported to reach your potential.
Our people have a blend of excellent technical and business skills with the talent to do things differently.
Here you’ll find top quality work, cutting edge training, high profile clients, and supportive colleagues. We think it could be time you joined us.
Our Litigation Services and Dispute Resolution group has a long-standing experience of working with some of the most successful and influential businesses in the UK and also internationally. Our specialist teams combine expertise with a sound understanding of the commercial landscape to provide exceptional solutions for every aspect of our clients’ corporate requirements.
Our niche Uninsured Loss Recovery team, part of the Corclaim superteam, consists of specialists who focus solely on recovering uninsured losses for businesses in the public and private sectors who have sustained loss or damage to property resulting from the actions of others. We recover these costs and losses from the “at fault” party or their insurers. We have particular expertise in the application of the Road Traffic Act, European regulations in relation to vehicle insurance and all matters relating to the Motor Insurers Bureau so far as these matters relate to the recovery of damages. Our clients include retailers, construction companies, utility providers, hire operators, logistics businesses and any business that operates its own vehicle fleet or has exposure to property risks and can provide repeat / volume instructions. In the last twelve months we have handled almost 7,000 cases, issued 2,700 legal proceedings and recovered £6.9m of client damages.
Are you a team player with a great attitude? Do you have experience gained in motor, insurance of property claims? Are you interested in joining a growing business in a fast-paced team with a strong track record of progression and development for its people? If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you…
We have a vacancy available for a Claims Handler to join our Uninsured Loss Recovery team; the role is to act for businesses on the recovery of their uninsured losses.
Whilst government advice remains to work from home where possible, your role will be home-based. If government advice changes, then this role will be based in our Birmingham office. We envisage a blend of home-working and office based work going forward.
Your key duties will include:
- managing your own caseload of contentious claims and being responsible for your own diary management
- considering liability by assessing evidence and establishing responsibility
- evaluating each claim and calculating the quantum figure
- negotiating liability or quantum with defendant solicitors or insurers
- sending Letters Before Action (LBA’s) to third parties; these are standard letters which are held on a case management system
- assessing and collating any relevant documentation to support the claim, pro-actively pursuing claims and making appropriate use of telephone and litigation
- drafting own legal proceedings and dealing with all aspects of litigation / compliance with the civil procedure rules, following through to and attending small claims trials
- instructing counsel to attend hearings where necessary
- drafting your own correspondence and witness statements etc.
- maintaining client relationships e.g. informing them on the progress of a claim and taking new instructions over the phone, by email or letter
- carrying our general administration to include archiving, billing, file management (filing etc.)
- maintaining case files in accordance with office procedures
- carrying out any other duties that are in keeping with the role
Skills and experience you will have:
- a minimum of 3 months’ recent administration experience gained from within a motor, property or insurance claims environment
- a minimum grade C pass at GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics
- confidence with IT systems to include Microsoft Word and Excel
Key competencies you will need:
- the ability to prioritise well and produce a high standard of work, sometimes under pressure, whilst maintaining accuracy and good attention to detail
- strong organisational skills whilst maintaining team processes and procedures
- a pro-active approach in settling claims
- the ability to cope and respond to sudden client demands
- good communication skills, good telephone manner and the ability to negotiate on the telephone
- an analytical, problem solving approach
About you – you will be:
- highly enthusiastic, willing to the extra mile and be happy to go beyond the job description
- respectful towards others and have a positive, willing and ‘can do’ attitude
- keen to learn, interested in driving your own career progression and be proactive in taking ownership of this
Rewards & Benefits:
The firm offers excellent benefits such as life assurance, a personal pension scheme, gym discounts and a generous holiday package, plus a flexible benefits platform where you can select from a range of voluntary benefits.
The Corclaim team offers an additional discretionary bonus scheme for employees, based on team and also individual performances.
This list is not exhaustive and is subject to change, terms and conditions.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. Details of the checks can be found here.
Shakespeare Martineau is a committed equal opportunities employer. We seek to attract, develop and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. We value and respect individuality and encourage a culture within our business where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths and experiences. Everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, regardless of their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.