Brands & Designs
Copyright Database Rights&Confidential Information
Patents & Patent Litigation
Dan enjoys helping clients identify, protect and exploit their valuable intellectual property rights, as well as guiding them through the enforcement process should it become necessary
Having joined the IP team in 2011, Dan is well experienced in contentious and non-contentious IP matters and has also spent time on secondment gaining perspective from within clients’ own businesses.
With a natural focus on dispute resolution, Dan has acted for both claimants and defendants in trade mark, designs, patents, copyright and confidential information disputes as well as advertising and domain name complaints. Dan’s extensive experience in the specialist and cost-effective Intellectual Property Enterprise Court has given him a strong understanding of its particular and streamlined procedural rules. Some examples of Dan’s cases are set out below.
Dan’s contentious work is balanced by his brands and designs clearance practice and he is an active member of Marques, the leading European association representing brand owners, joining the Geographical Indications team in September 2021. As a result of the firm’s leading Education practice Dan also has significant experience in research contracts and general IP advice to leading UK universities and other educational institutions.
Finally, Dan has a keen personal interest in video games and interactive entertainment law and can assist with the development, protection, licensing and exploitation of rights in video games.
To reinforce his role as an intellectual property solicitor, Dan gained a Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice from Oxford University.
Examples of cases include:
• Trade Marks, Passing Off & Designs:
• Globefill, Inc. v Poundland Limited,
• Shorter Trials Scheme HP-2021-000002
• Bei Yu Industrial Co. v Nuby (UK) LLP and another, IP-2020-000049
• Multi Access Ltd v Guangzhou Wong Lo Kat Great Health Business Development Co Ltd,
• Chancery Appeal CH-2019-000139
• Next Retail Limited v Poundland Limited (IP-2018-000165)
• Gordon Bennett International Limited v Kidswear Birmingham Limited T/A Paul Andrew & Or, IP-2018-000204
• Fit Kitchen Limited & Or v Scratch Meals Limited, IP-2018-000157
• FUSION WORKSHOP LIMITED (t/a KAGOOL) v Kagool Limited and another, IP-2018-000057
• Siteco Beleuchtungstechnik GmbH v Sunpower Group Holdings Ltd and others, IP-2017-000083
• Brunet International (Hong Kong) Ltd v Next Plc, IP-2016-000164
• Syspal Ltd v K9Surf Ltd and another, IP-2016-000190
• Boost Drinks Limited v Boost & Boom Manufacturing Limited (IP-2016-000075)
• Robovision Limited t/a TP Toys v REBO UK Limited t/a REBO, outdoortoys.co.uk and Outdoor Toys and another, IP-2017-000090
• WHC Hire Services Ltd & Or v T & K Gallagher Limited, IP-2017-000033
Dan is recognised in the 2021 edition of The Legal 500 as a “Key Lawyer” within Shakespeare Martineau’s Tier 2 ranked Intellectual Property team, and in particular for “[standing] out for his varied caseload, which encompasses IP creation, protection and enforcement mandates.”
- Are the lights on for UK-registered designs?
- Six months on: how has Brexit impacted IP?
- Providing lessons online – the legal implications and what you need to do
Other People in Commercial & IP
Partner & Head of Sport